Wednesday 30 September 2015

Mariah Carey Is Launching a '90s Throwback Lipstick For MAC

Mariah Carey and MAC are teaming up for a holiday collaboration. (Photo: MAC Cosmetics)
by Lauren Levinson
On Dec. 3, expect “All I Want For For Christmas Is You” to be permanently stuck in your head. But the reason is good. POPSUGAR Beauty has exclusively learned that Mariah Carey — the music goddess who created the catchy holiday song — has teamed up with MAC Cosmetics on a shimmery nude lipstick. The name of the color is dubbed “All I Want” and trust us, you want it.
In our interview, Mariah described the hue as a “beautiful champagne shimmer” that she created to flatter many skin tones. Plus, she tipped us off that a full Mariah x MAC Beauty Icon collection is coming later in 2016.

Though MAC has worked with some big-deal musicians including Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, and Rihanna, the brand is enthusiastic about adding Mariah to its prestigious roster.
“Mariah is the over-the-top pop and beauty icon,” said MAC Creative Director James Gager. “Throughout the years we’ve all watched her with admiration and feel right now she is at her ultimate best. She exudes elegance, glamour, sophistication, and a sense of fun. Her ‘All I Want’ lipstick is the perfect frosty holiday shade and her Beauty Icon collection will be everything you think of when you think MAC and Mariah.”
While you do have to wait a few months to get your hands on the limited-edition lipstick (which will be available online only at maccosmetics.com), you can learn more about it here, now. Keep reading to get a tease for what’s to come for Mariah’s bigger MAC collaboration, her approach to biracial beauty, and why she describes herself as an “insecure person.”
POPSUGAR: How did you pick this particular name for the lipstick? You have so many songs to choose from.
Mariah Carey: Well, I wanted something different for the holidays. It’s not a red lip; it’s actually a champagne shimmer with a frost texture. I wanted to go away from the typical red lip that everybody usually does for Christmas. It’s really beautiful. “All I Want” is such an evergreen song for me, and it’s a natural name for the lipstick.
PS: It’s such a major song — I know people who listen to it in July! Did you have any idea that it was going to be such a huge hit?
MC: No, I really didn’t! I was writing it in this little, tiny room with a little keyboard by myself years ago, and then I just sang it. It was a process, but I was sitting in the middle of Summer with Christmas trees in the room having fun. I never knew it would be one of my most famous songs. Here we are, all this time later. Every year I hear it, and it actually makes me really happy. It makes me happier to hear than any of my other songs because I love Christmas so much.
Mariah Carey x MAC lipstick in ‘All I Want’ (Photo: MAC Cosmetics)
PS: Let’s talk about the shimmery nude color.
MC: Well I’ve always loved the frosty lip for Winter, because I think it blends in with the tone of the season. Even growing up, [the shade is] something that I would gravitate towards. I don’t look good in a red lip, and I wanted to be able to wear the color. I know a lot of people who don’t care for red lipstick, either. We ended up going with this really beautiful champagne shimmer.
PS: Sounds lovely. That shimmery lip texture feels like a throwback to those ‘90s MAC lipsticks.
MC: Even a throwback to ones from before that. It’s something that I’ve always loved, that color. So it is sort of a throwback, but I think it’s going to feel modern, too.
PS: What are some tips you have for styling the lipstick, beauty-wise?
MC: Well, I’m not sure how much we’re supposed to talk about, because we’re still in the early planning stages, but did you hear that MAC asked me to be the next collaborator for its Beauty Icon collection?
PS: That’s very exciting, congrats! I did hear that there was more to come, but I don’t know too much about it yet.
MC: We’re not talking about it too much yet. [The products are] going to work with that lip, and they’re all kind of in that vein. But I can’t talk too much about it or they’ll kill me. READ MORE on POPSUGAR Beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment