The Federal Government on Tuesday in Abuja pledged to look into the controversy over the cut-off marks for students seeking for admission into universities.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Mr MacJohn Nwaobiala, disclosed this to State House correspondents after briefing President Muhammed Buhari on the activities of the ministry.
According to him, the matter was being resolved as consultations were on to see where adjustment could be made.
Nwaobiala, therefore, urged students who made the cut-off marks to proceed to their universities of first and second choices to write the post-University Matriculation Examinations (UME).
On the meeting with President Buhari, the Permanent Secretary said the president expressed concern over the persistent delay in the payment of teachers’ salaries by some state governments.
Nwaobiala, who led the ministry’s delegation to the briefing, said the President was “pained” by the plight of the teachers, some of who were owed up to 12 months’ salary arrears.
He said the President also frowned at the low rating of Nigerian universities among their peers around the World.
The Permanent Secretary, however, told the president that some of the ratings were misinterpreted as the rating of Nigerian universities had been improving.
He said the Ministry’s main priority for now, was to return school children, displaced by terrorist activities in the country, back to schools as well as getting more enrolment of children into schools.